Equal Opportunity Guidelines: The Swedish Academy of Art (SARA) is an equal opportunity educational provider and employer, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation and/or age in educational programs or activities that it operates or in employment decisions.
SARA is home to instructors and students from various backgrounds, each with their own tastes, preferences, personal habits and unique personalities. Therefore, it is very important that everyone observe certain rules of behavior to maintain harmony in the school. The simple key to maintaining the positive and supportive atmosphere the school enjoys is to always behave and act with respect toward others.
- Never disturb anyone’s personal workspace.
- If something does not belong to you, ask and get permission before using it.
- Always clean up after yourself.
- Avoid any unnecessary actions that may be disruptive to someone else.
- In order to help keep the school clean, we ask that you remove your street shoes once inside the building. Leave them in the coatroom where you are also welcome to keep a pair of indoor shoes to wear in the building.
- There is no smoking allowed in the building. Smokers may smoke outside the building, but we ask you to please dispose of your cigarette butts properly, and not throw them on the ground.
- Try generally to behave in a “green” eco-friendly way when it comes to your consumption of water, electricity, paper towels and toilet paper. For example, remember to shut off the lights in any room where you are the last to leave for the day, don’t let the water run unnecessarily, recycle what you can, and use rags to wipe and clean your brushes instead of paper towels or toilet paper.
- All students are responsible for cleaning up after themselves in the kitchen. How kitchen cleanliness will be maintained during the week will be decided by the student group at the first student forum. Typically, a “Kitchen Duty” schedule will be set each term that assigns at least 2 students per week to have the primary responsibility for keeping the kitchen clean, ensuring that all surfaces are clean, both dishwashers are run and empties appropriately, etc.
- You are welcome to take photographs in any of the student areas of the school building, but photography in the instructors’ studios is prohibited without prior consent.
- Do not enter an instructor’s studio without permission.
- Mobile phones should have the sound turned off when you are in the building. If you absolutely must have your phone on, adjust the volume and take any call outside the building, or in a room away from others.
- You must obtain permission to remove a book from the Library and under no circumstances is any book to leave the school building. There is no food or drink allowed in the Library.
- In general, be careful and thoughtful in how you handle school property. Treat all the furniture in the atelier, including chairs, easels and still life/cast stands, with care and respect. Be very careful to avoid damaging original works of art displayed in the school building, as well as those being created by students and faculty. You are responsible for any damage to school property.
- The level of noise in the school must be kept at a minimum. Apart from in the model room, music should only be listened to using headphones. Also, when talking to someone, be aware that your neighbors may be distracted by it, so keep the noise level low.
- Attendance is a reflection of your commitment to your education. For those students using CSN, there are strict attendance rules. Financial support is only given to students studying full-time. If you are absent more than 20%, you can no longer claim to be studying full-time. The school is obliged to report this information to CSN.
- If you are late for the first pose of figure drawing, your space will be considered open for anyone to use that day unless, prior to being late, you called the school’s office and left a message that you were running late.
- Daily reviews (critiques) are given between 08:00-12:00 and 13:00-17:00 Monday to Thursday. There are no critiques on Fridays because there is Gesture Drawing in the morning and lectures in the afternoon. If you are not present when the instructor comes to your space and you miss your review, it will be your responsibility to find the instructor and ask for a review if you wish to have one. If you arrive late for the day without prior notice, instructors are not required to give you a critique, even if you ask.
- Make sure your hands are clean before handling plaster casts and make sure when moving or setting up a cast that it is in a safe and secure position. You are responsible for the cast you are using and if you damage or break it you must replace it.
Student Misconduct: SARA reserves the right to end its relationship with any student who has continually failed to act in accordance with Equal Opportunity Guidelines, Fundamental Guidelines, General Guidelines, Work-Related Guidelines, Tuition Fees and Refund Policy, or is considered to be a considerable risk to other persons or property during training. Such a student may be temporarily suspended from his or his studies, effective upon notice. The SARA Board will make disciplinary decisions, including the possibility of expulsion. Any suspended or expelled student will not be entitled to a refund of tuition fees.
Tuition Fees and Refund Policy: The price per academic year is 100,000 SEK.
50,0000 SEK in tuition is paid before the start of each semester and students have the option of dividing payments into two equal installments. An administrative fee of 250 SEK will be added to each split payment. A non-refundable deposit of 4000 SEK is due upon acceptance and before the start of each academic year for all students. This amount will be deducted from the balance of fees due.
Students will receive invoices via e-mail for all payments due. Full payment is due no later than the payment deadline. If the remaining parts of the tuition fee are not paid within the period specified, SARA shall remind the student to pay the fee within a certain period. If the fee is not paid within the period stated in the reminder, the student may not attend school until the balance has been paid. In some cases, payment plans may be agreed upon for students who are unable to meet payment deadlines. Payment plan requests must be made in writing before the payment deadline.
Enrollment is binding but may be withdrawn in accordance with the regulations concerning the right of withdrawal. The right of withdrawal means that you can withdraw your application by sending written notification to SARA within 21 days of the start of term. Tuition refunds will only be given if we receive notice by this date. If you fail to cancel enrollment by this date or you terminate your studies once the term has started, we will charge you the total course fee per for the committed period*. If you end your participation in a course due to a severely debilitating illness supported by a medical certificate, which has been reviewed and approved by the SARA Board, you may be reimbursed for the unutilized portion of the course fee, minus a 10% deduction to cover administrative costs. All refunds must be requested in writing.
* Students admitted after the fall 2015 term to our full-time programs are committed for one academic year at a time. Students who were admitted before the fall 2015 term are committed for one semester at a time.
Personal Property Policy: SARA will not be held responsible for damage to, or the loss of your personal belongings.
Student Release Policy: For the purpose of advertisement and educational purposes, SARA retains the irrevocable right to use your name, picture, portrait, or photograph as well as pictures or photographs of any artwork produced at SARA, including images submitted with student applications. If you do not wish to personally appear in any photographs, you must notify the school prior to the start of the school year in writing.
By enrolling as a student of SARA, you agree to abide by the rules described in this policy. Furthermore, you agree to adhere to the academic curriculum as determined by primary facility with oversight by Myndigheten för yrkeshögskolan.
(School Policy Document updated December 2016)